Hedge End Running Club and Netley Abbey Runners have the pleasure of hosting Race #3 of the 2022 RR10 series. This will take place on Wednesday18th of May at River Hamble Country Park, which is on the outskirts of Hedge End, just off Junction 8 of the M27. The nearest postcode is SO31 1BH. The start is 19:00 prompt. Please allow time to arrive, park and get to the start.
Route: This year we have had to make some changes to the route we used in the past as the park has some of the paths used before under repair. The new route takes in some of the newer paths the park has near the river and the farm. The route is 4.85 miles long with all the usual mix of hills and rough ground.
The route is mainly on gravel tracks so you may get away with using road shoes however we would recommend trail shoes as some the new paths have loose stones on them. The course is mainly dry at the moment, Spikes are not suitable. The dry weather in the Spring has exposed more tree roots than normal, which we will try and mark wherever possible. There is a narrow section where runners will need to run towards the right of the path as runners will be going in both directions on this section.
As ever, we expect parking to be tight, so please car share as much as possible. There will be no parking charges for the evening, so there is no need to buy a parking ticket. Please do not park on the access road outside the Country Park entrance. We have been given permission to use the field at the top for parking and use the other car parks as needed. Permission has been given as a good will gesture with the expectation that we will leave it clear when finished so please don’t leave any litter there. We hope these arrangements will help to avoid congestion with cars attempting to leave the park being blocked by runners arriving. Please follow the instructions of the Car Park marshals and be aware of traffic while walking along the road to the start area.
- We have worked with the park officials. They are going to keep the new ‘The Barn’ café open so that anyone to buy some pre-race coffees
- There are also lots of toilets open, they are at The Barn itself, the old kiosk and the Green Block in the Toplands car park. Please use these and not the bushes around the start area.
- We do not have exclusive access to the Country Park, which is popular with dog walkers, cyclists, and other users, so please be considerate to the local residents. If the weather is fine, there may also be families picnicking in the Country Park.
- The Start and Finish will be in Barnfield
- The route is a mixture of grass, gravel paths, trails and bridleways.
- If you have a car, please leave the Country Park by 8.45 p.m… the entrance gate for vehicles is locked at 9.00p.m.
- There will be water available at the end of the race, however, in an effort to reduce our environmental impact, it has been decided not to provide cups so please bring your own drink or reusable cup. Please also take any odds and ends plus any litter away with your when leaving to keep the park clean.
We look forward to seeing you all on 18th May.
Rob, Kym and Ed.